Crusader enjoys visits to alma mater

A former sports writer for The Bells is the current assistant commissioner of Media Relations for the American Southwest Conference.

Greg Weghorst, a 2003 alumnus of UMHB, graduated with a degree in mass communication/journalism.

He worked under the direction of Sports Information Director for UMHB, Jon Wallin, as an intern his senior year in the Sports Information Office. This ultimately landed him his current job.

“Jon was contacted by the conference director about a position with the ASC,” Weghorst said. “He immediately thought of me and sent over the information, which helped me get the job.”

While at UMHB, Weghorst was also a sports writer for the Temple Daily Telegram. This allowed him to cover different types of games and teams in the Central Texas area.

Greg Weghorst presents Coach Pete Fredenburg and the Crusaders with their most recent ASC title. A graduate from UMHB, Weghorst now works for The American Southwest Conference in Dallas, but enjoys coming back to his alma mater. Jon Wallin

“Greg was a tremendous asset during his time with the Sports Information Department here, and he has continued that excellent work through his time at the Temple Daily Telegram and now with the ASC office,” Wallin said.

Wallin’s leadership and advice helped prepare Weghorst for his future job opportunities.

“I saw the way that Jon ran the office, his preciseness, and he taught me to always give my best,” Weghorst said.

Each day is different with the changing seasons of sports, but he is in charge of the ASC website, including posting scores, players of the week and press releases. Occasionally, he awards teams after championship tournaments.

“Out of the last five years, I have been able to present three trophies to Coach (Pete) Fredenburg, and three years ago to Coach (Ken) DeWeese,” he said. “It is always fun to come back and say I’m proud of where I went (to school).”

With his position at the ASC, Weghorst is able to cover the coaches and staff he once worked with while in college.

“Last year I presented Jon with the Sports Information Department of the Year award,” he said. “It meant a lot that I was able to present him with that honor that was well deserved.”

Most recently, Weghorst mentored five members of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee from the ASC, two of whom were Cru athletes.

Weghorst married a former UMHB cheerleader, Casey, and has one daughter, Tatum.

Vice President of Athletics Ben Shipp said of Weghorst, “He did a great job, and I was extremely proud of him.”

He is pleased knowing  UMHB is well represented by all communication dealing with the ASC.

Shipp said, “Greg continues to impress people everywhere he goes, and I always try to point out that ‘He’s one of ours!’”

Author: Brooke Morgan