Classes face off in annual flag football game

It was the year of the seniors as each class went head to head for the title of Sader Puff champions. With a big freshmen class, a senior class that wanted to win and a combination team of the juniors and sophomores, everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves playing a friendly game of flag football.

The winning team, the seniors, took it more seriously than the others. With wrist bands full of different plays, four-year player senior Julia Bishop liked the intensity.

“Even though at first I thought they were all taking this way too seriously, I still had fun,” Bishop said. “I just like to be out there and have fun with my friends.”

While some of the players take it seriously, the coaches do not. Guys coach the women and are even seen jokingly harassing the refs. Bishop said it’s all good fun.

“All the guys are just big dorks. They will be running up and down the sidelines, holding their heads. Some even throw their clip boards down just to be funny,” she said. “I think Sader Puff is more of a fun time for them than it is for us.”

Senior Ali Erario runs with the ball in the game Oct. 29. Photo by Evan Duncan

Sophomore Jenny Binford went out to see some of the games.

“Despite the cold, it was interesting to watch,” Binford said. “Some of the girls are really tough about it, but for the most part, I thought everyone was out there just for fun.”

The food was a big hit as well.

“The fact that they had hotdogs and drinks was a definite plus,” Binford said. “People just came out and would eat, watch and socialize. It was fun.”

Only three games were played. First, the combined junior and sophomore classes took on the freshmen class.  The freshmen lost. Then the seniors took the field to knock off the junior and sophomore team. And then the seniors played the freshmen.

For some it was the end of a tradition that they had been a part of since their first year of college.

“I have played on the team all four years, and it’s sad because I know I won’t be able to play anymore because I’m graduating,” Bishop said. “Even though it was so much fun to play, it also showed that my days in college are ending soon, and that’s sad.”

For sophomore Mandi Watts, this was the first time she went out to watch some of her her fellow classmates play ball.

She said, “I wanted to see what everyone was talking about. After watching them, if I go next year, I will definitely be watching again. Some of those girls played rough at times,  and I would much rather sit on the sidelines to cheer for my friends.”

Author: Stacy Fannin

Stacy Fannin is a junior mass communication/journalism major and is the sports editor for the newspaper. She is from Cedar Park, Texas, where she lives with her mom, little sister and adorable cat, Dusty. Stacy enjoys being with family and friends. Some of her favorite things are chocolate, Dr. Pepper, the Green Bay Packers, Texas and England. Stacy enjoys eating junk food, being around family and friends (and her cat), and talking on her phone named Jeffrey. She is a huge fan of Dr. Pepper, chocolate and of course, the Green Bay Packers!