Victim of hit and run recalls crash

She thought she was going to be hosting the ultimate wedding shower for her best friend, but this wasn’t the case.

On Sept. 26 at 2 p.m., junior nursing major Crissy Severson and 6-year-old daughter Kelsey were pulling into the West Rock Centre on Hewitt Drive in Waco when they were taken by surprise.

“I was on the way to my best friend’s bridal shower, which I was throwing,” Severson said.

“One minute I was talking to my daughter about a Taylor Swift song, and the next thing I know I am parked in the opposite direction in the exit lane of the shopping center.”

A Ford Ranger truck hit Severson’s ’06 Chevy Cobalt from behind going 50- 60 mph, and then fled the scene.

(Courtesy Photo)

(Courtesy Photo)

The truck was trying to pass her by driving in the shoulder.

Severson’s vehicle was forced into a parking lot, which caused her vehicle to run over four curbs, and finally stopping.

“I never saw the truck that hit me, period. As soon as we came to a stop, I got my daughter out of the car first thing,” she said.

Kriston Stecher, Severson’s best friend and bride-to-be, was waiting in the West Rock Centre parking lot so they could arrive to the wedding shower together.

“My fiancés grandma said she was talking to a cop about an accident. … I looked over and she (Severson) was about 200 feet away. I just ran over there,” Stecher said. “I needed to know they were OK.”

Stecher saw the two were on their feet and was relieved, but Severson was not—she was a victim of a hit and run.

She looked around for the truck that hit her car, but it was nowhere in sight.

Frustration and anxiety arose.

Severson was thankful for witnesses.

Four women stopped to help her and her daughter, while one man was on the hunt for the truck that fled the scene.

“An amazing gentleman actually chased the truck down to get his license plate number, make and model and returned to the scene of my accident with the information,” she said.

Without the witness’ help, Severson would never know who hit her.

A police report was filed, and the family is “hoping to settle without. It’s pretty cut and dry,” she said.

(Couresy Photo)

(Couresy Photo)

Her daughter had a few bruises, but did not suffer any serious injuries. However, Severson left the scene with a head injury.

She spent three days in the ICU, with a skull fracture and C1 spinal cord injury, and ended up missing two weeks of school, which is hard to make up for being a nursing major.

During that time, she had to wear a cervical collar to stabilize her head to prevent

further damage.

“It was very painful and frustrating,” she said.

Severson’s friends were there to help in any way possible.

Junior nursing major Shasta Renfro met Severson at UMHB in class.

Renfro was at home when she heard of her friend’s accident and knew she would have to help so she could make up schoolwork.

“I told our instructor about what happened, and I would give Crissy updates about class,” Renfro said.

She regularly called Severson to check up on her and fill her in with details from school.

Severson’s skull fracture is in recovery. She is taking precautions needed to help with the process.

“I’m doing a lot better just get crazy painful headaches,” she said. Everyone heals differently, but it’s healing

Author: Andra Holbrooks

Andra is a senior Mass Communication/Journalism major from Aledo, TX. She is the Features Page Editor for The Bells. Andra loves spending time with her family, roommates and friends. Although her time at UMHB will soon come to an end, she will always hold the Crusader family dearly in her heart. Her adventure of becoming Features Editor for The Bells began in 2008. Being a writer was not a profession she ever imagined pursuing, but she is thankful for the opportunity God has given her to do so. She enjoys page designing and writing feature stories. After graduation in May, she hopes to use her degree by working for a magazine or reporting for a news station.