Satirical tweets tease campus

You don’t have to be a tweeter to know about the latest buzz on campus.

The Twitter account called FakeUMHB – “tweets for life…sarcasm for a lifetime.” – has students talking.

One popular tweet, tagged “tipsforfreshman”: “You’re going to want to get a tattoo your first semester. Probably in Greek or Hebrew. Don’t do it.”

The account has one simple goal: to make people laugh. The man behind the 140-character jokes keeps his identity private.

“The more I thought about it, the more ideas I had for tweets …” FakeUMHB said. “I thought it would be a fun way to leave my mark on the university, even if it is anonymously.”

And the anonymity of the source will remain – unless someone has wads of cash.

“There are only a few things that would cause me to reveal my identity. One of those would be an incredibly large sum of money presented to myself, probably in large bills, in one of those silver briefcases that you see in the movies,” he said.

FakeUMHB said the tweets are not meant to be offensive, and he tries to keep them general.

“Unless I am replying to another person’s tweet, I do not name names. If anyone has been offended by my tweets, then I would say they are taking my simple Twitter account entirely too seriously,” he said.

Since the creation of the FakeUMHB account, others have followed suit. Facebook groups like Fake UMHB, Real-Fake UMHB and Fake Real Fake UMHB are now also gaining members.

Senior Vice President for Administration Dr. Steve Theodore realizes the different groups use a lot of satire in their tweets and posts.

“We are not the Facebook police,” he said. “We don’t scan Facebook looking for inappropriate words of pictures of students.”

Theodore went on to say that the university would only take action if the jokes rose to the level of slander or libel, or if they would paint UMHB in a bad light.

Senior nursing major Andrew Kester said he likes the account and doesn’t think it should go anywhere but thinks the others should.

“The Facebook fake UMHB and all the other juvenile redundant attempts at comedy, while at the same time forsaking morals, (should go) because they make our school look bad,” he said.

However, FakeUMHB doesn’t necessarily take offense to the accounts.

“They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Now, I don’t know who “they” are but I agree with their statement. It really is flattering that I have someone imitating me. Do I wish I had done a Facebook page myself? Of course I do,” he said.

Some may wonder whether the pokes at the university are all fun or are really meaningful. He assures that they are not.

“The truth is, I love UMHB almost as much as I love poking fun at its quirks,” he said.

Most students, like junior Shaina Ryan, find the tweets harmless.

She said, “I think that FakeUMHB says what every student here at some point wishes they could say.

“Even if it pokes fun at certain aspects of our school, our students talk about it. Believe it or not, it creates community amongst students. At the end of the day, whether we laugh at FakeUMHB’s tweets or not, we still love the school and call ourselves Crusaders.”

Author: Lauren Piercey

Lauren is a senior Mass Communication/Journalism major with a minor in Art and English. She is from the extremely small town of Plantersville, TX where she grew up with her two younger sisters and an assortment of animals. She became the transitions page editor after finally caving into joining the staff. She loves writing and is confident God will help her find a job after graduation in May. She also enjoys cooking, reading and tripping over her own two feet.