Silly Bandz cover arms of all genders and ages

Written by Kayla Lynch

In a room of nine college students, eight of them are living proof of the recent fad that seems to be taking over the nation, Silly Bandz. From farm animals to Harry Potter characters, the rubber bracelets can take the shape of anything and everything. Once you have one on your wrist, it opens up a world of trading and sharing.

“They remind me of Pokemon cards or that glitter makeup we used to wear in elementary school. They all caught on really fast, and they’re probably going to fade really fast too,” said senior psychology major Brittany Richardson.

While some people may think they were made just for children, Richardson goes on to say, “I think they’re fun. I enjoy collecting and trading them.”

Silly Bandz are visible all over campus. Shown are the RockBandz Pack which includes guitars, drums, rock hands and microphone shapes. Bandz come in many different themes. Photo illustration by Brittany Montgomery

The Bandz can come in handy when small talk topics are scarce. If someone has a few on, it’s an automatic, non-awkward conversation starter.

“I think they’re funny and fun. I also like showing off the cool ones that I have,” Richardson said.

Like Pokemon cards once were, the bracelets have been banned in some school districts because, unlike typical bracelets that are worn to make a fashion statement and pose as an accessory, Silly Bandz are seen more as toys.

“I don’t really understand why people like them so much. I think people get caught up in these fads just because everyone else is doing it,” said Jake Hans, a student at Temple College. “I just don’t get it.”

With the different colors, shapes and ability to glow in the dark, it only makes sense that kids could find them more interesting than what their teacher has to say.

“If the kids are playing and trading them instead of working, that’s a problem,” Whitney Parrish a first grade teacher in the Houston Independent School District said.

But the real dilemma arises when the Bandz cause arguments.

“Some kids don’t understand the concept of trading. You’ll have some that think their Silly Bandz were stolen,” Parrish said.

Some teachers have been said to hate them, but this teacher even has a few of her own that students gave her. The general consensus of the bracelet feedback is positive, and their popularity serves as an advocate. But not everyone is a fan.

“If they weren’t such a big deal and everyone wasn’t wearing them, I might consider wearing them,” junior education major Kathryn Asikis said.

While Silly Bandz are a genius idea to some, others disagree. Even people like Richardson wouldn’t mind if the bracelet craze died down soon, “It’s starting to weird me out,” she said.

Junior mass communication/PR major Brett Land refuses to jump on the bandwagon of the bracelet fad.

The fact that they have become such a popular trend is also part of what turns some people off.

“I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing Silly Bandz,” he said. “I don’t like them because they are childish. I am a 20 year-old who looks 17. The last thing I need is a couple of bright colored bracelets to make me look like I am in high school.”