Meet the Court: Homecoming 2010

Twelve seniors were nominated, and they practice twice a week in the lower level of Remschel Hall in preparation for one of the most honoring occasions in their college careers — Homecoming court.

This year’s theme is fairy tales, and contestants will be doing skits in pairs. They will perform these and a group dance in front of students, faculty and staff at Cru Review to be held Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. in Shelton Theatre.

Marketing/management major Lewis Simms is excited about the debut of the skits.

“We have some really funny ladies and gentlemen on court this year, so I know there is going to be non-stop laughter,” he said.

Simms and his partner, Christian ministry major Brianna Edwards, are basing their skit on Sleeping Beauty.

“We really thought that the well-known story line would provide us with plenty of ammo for our skit,” he said.

Simms feels blessed to be a part of the court.

Nominees Ashley Ramirez and Justin French (left), Ashley Miksch and Lewis Simms (back left), Sarah Herriott and Nathan Jenkins (center), Michael Beach and Andra Holbrooks (right) practice the dance that will be performed at Cru Review and the pep rally. Photo by Jenna Magness

Nominees Ashley Ramirez and Justin French (left), Ashley Miksch and Lewis Simms (back left), Sarah Herriott and Nathan Jenkins (center), Michael Beach and Andra Holbrooks (right) practice the dance that will be performed at Cru Review and the pep rally. Photo by Jenna Mangess

“Our campus is filled with so many active and deserving students, so I feel extremely honored to be included with such a great group,” he said.

Early education major Rebecca Widmer and Computer science major Mychal Gobert are doing The Little Mermaid for their skit as Ariel and Sebastian.

Widmer said the pair wanted to incorporate music and have fun.

“We’re going to be wacky and crazy … hopefully funny,” she said.

Being on the court is not something she expected, but is happy because of the opportunity to hang out with all the other nominees.

“If I do win, I’ll be excited, but if I don’t, I’ll be just as excited,” she said.

Gobert played four years of football, but now is experiencing something new for the first time.

“I haven’t done any major things like this since I’ve been at UMHB,” he said.

However, Gobert isn’t nervous about Cru review thanks to his summer work at Kids Across America, a Christian sports camp, where he performed many skits.

“Doing this is like being at camp having fun with the kids except now I’m having fun with my fellow students,” he said.

Besides doing their individual skits, the pairs will perform a group dance at Cru Review and the pep rally.

Communication major Ashley Ramirez and communication major Justin French are focusing their skit on Aladdin.

“It was always my favorite Disney story because I always thought I looked like Jasmine the most out of all the princesses,” Ramirez said.

She said she wasn’t expecting to be on court even though she and French played with the idea over the summer.

“I kept thinking ‘who nominated me? Who did that?’” Ramirez said.

French feels the same way about being  nominated.

“I guess I kind of hoped that I would be on the Homecoming court, but it wasn’t something I wanted to get my hopes up for,” he said.

French sees the opportunity as a great way to finish out school.

“I feel like being on Homecoming court is an incredible way to wrap up my life at UMHB,” he said.

This year’s king and queen will be crowned during half time of the Cru vs. Mississippi College Homecoming game Oct. 9 at Tiger Field.

Author: Lauren Piercey

Lauren is a senior Mass Communication/Journalism major with a minor in Art and English. She is from the extremely small town of Plantersville, TX where she grew up with her two younger sisters and an assortment of animals. She became the transitions page editor after finally caving into joining the staff. She loves writing and is confident God will help her find a job after graduation in May. She also enjoys cooking, reading and tripping over her own two feet.