Welcomed with worship and compassion

Incoming freshmen and transfer students spent their first night on campus packed into the W.W. Walton Chapel, with hands raised high. The Robbie Seay Band performed a welcome concert.

Seay, a recording artist, worship leader and front man for the band which bears his name, led the concert/worship service for the estimated 1,000 students and faculty.

Robbie Seay and his band led worship on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. for incoming freshmen at Cru Comm Kick Off in W.W. Walton Chapel during Welcome Week. Photo by Evan Duncan

“I know a lot of these students have been here for a day or two. I think for a lot of them it was a chance to take a deep breath and sing together and pray together,” Seay said. “It was meaningful, and it was meaningful for me to be there.”

Seay played many songs from the band’s newest album, Miracle, which was released in April.

Miracle was recorded in nearby Austin at the Blue Rock Music studio.

“We are from Houston, so it meant a lot that these songs were recorded in Texas with our friends,” Seay said.

The band also played older songs, including the hit “Song of Hope” and several worship songs and hymns. The peaceful  atmosphere during the worship was a stark contrast to the high energy of Welcome Week events taking place earlier in the day.

Junior social work major Tracie Byrd saw the concert as a chance to bond with the new students.
“The concert was definantly a worshipful experience. It was great to come in here and fellowship as a community of believers with the new freshmen.”

Senior marketing major David Keil helped bring Seay to the school.

“I’ve been around Robbie and seen him play in a lot of places,” Keil said. “Their style fits Welcome Week. It is a concert feel but ties in worship, too. I knew that would be something very fitting with the vison of Welcome Week.”

During the concert, Seay took a pause from music to discuss mission organization Compassion International.  He and his wife sponsor a child in the Dominican Republic.

“I found out over a million kids around the world are sponsored,” Seay said. “They are connected with somebody who said ‘I will sponsor you for 38 bucks a month.  I’ll see that you have access to education, health care.’

“After we got more involved and I got to visit the child we sponsor, we’ve advocated for them ever since. I love what they do.”

Students had the opportunity to meet with Seay after the show and learn about Compassion International. Many took the chance to look at support packets of underprivileged kids.
For more information about Compassion International, visit www.compassion.com.

Author: Evan Duncan