Student body president pushes peers to reach out, think of others

By Tommy Wilson
Student Body President

Welcome back to another exciting year at UMHB. For all the new freshmen and transfer students we are glad to have you with us this year. Many of you have had great summer experiences, and have seen and done some amazing things. Yet there is nothing like the feeling of coming home. I hope that the more time you spend here, the more it begins to feel like a place where you belong.

I pray the relationships you build will last far beyond the four, five or seven years you spend here. This place is not just another chapter in your life, but one that will set the tone for chapters that will come after it.

This is my second year to serve as the student body president, and I consider it my highest honor that you would trust me with this opportunity to serve you and our campus in this way.

Last year we saw some truly amazing things happen on our campus and around our world through the influence God allowed us to have.

Our student athletes were a bright light among the teams in our Division 3 conference; winning and achieving great victories around our nation.

Student led events like Stunt Night, Miss Mary Hardin-Baylor and Homecoming, to name a few, brought our campus together to celebrate the exciting heritage and honorable traditions we had for many years.

There was a great call that our students heard from around the community and world to go and serve. Many went on different mission trips, served in local food pantries, and the campus as a whole responded to the needs of Haiti after the earthquake. What a truly exciting and challenging year it was.

Now we are at the place where we have a chance to start anew. Last year I challenged myself and you to live a life that is community focused.

This year I am asking you the same thing, but to take it a step further. I ask you to live with not just a community focus but a relational focus. Ask yourselves, “What can I do to help my fellow students?” “How can I get to know my roommate/classmate/professor more?” “How can I make myself more available and approachable so that people can get to know who I am?” This does not happen overnight but over time.

My goal as your president is not just to affect our different events and practices on campus, but to affect our culture. I want to help guide us toward using our abilities and education to reach out and positively affect the people around us. This calling is placed on us from Christ, and the power is there to achieve this it the ones who bear His Name.

The question is, will you be willing to answer this call and live in a relational way? This is not the task of just one man but the job of many; no one can do it alone. That is what I am committed to, and it has been my prayer for some time for our campus.

Thanks again for your trust and support, I promise to give this campus all I am. Remember, if you ever need me, I am only a call away. Have a great semester at the best university around. GO CRU!