Improvements for Cru softball due to new players

“I definitely expect a trip to the World Series this year, and I’m sure I can speak for the whole team on that one,” said junior catcher Lindsey Gordon.

The season began this spring with a pair of wins over the Pirates of Southwestern University. With the addition of a few new players, including short stop Brittany Moreno, outfielders Kaysie Creech and Austin McCormick, third baseman Caitlin Bollier, and pitchers Erica White and Hannah White, the team is much deeper and equipped with athletes who can perform in multiple positions.

Head softball Coach Kasey Blomquist said, “I am very excited about the chemistry of our team as well as the athletic ability. This year we have a lot more depth, and kids are going to be doing a lot more things. We made some mistakes against Southwestern, but overall I was pleased with outing.”

Defensively they were strong, and they fought hard the entire time, which is
something they struggled with last season.

Unfortunately, the women weren’t as successful in their next doubleheader against Louisiana College. The Wildcats quickly jumped ahead with a two-run homer that would lead to an 8-0 victory. In the second game, the Cru wasn’t able to overcome another early deficit, and lost 10-3.

Gordon said, “I think our hitting needed to improve, which we have been working on a lot. There were a few defensive errors made, but I know we will improve in that area, too.”

Junior outfielder Sarah Roman said that there are four words they try to live
by: dedicated, determined, competitive and respect.

“We’re not letting that loss get us down, but build us up,” she said. “It’s an opportunity to learn.”

The team still has high hopes for the season, and many of them feel they have what it takes to win a championship.

Roman said, “My expectations for the season are to dominate. We are an incredibly talented and versatile team, and we have the capability to make it past conference and continue to the World Series.”

Defense and pitching are two things Blomquist wanted to improve on from
last season, and with the new talent added to the squad, she believes they have done just that.

But how have the freshmen and transfers meshed with the core group?

Roman said, “The new players have fi t in incredibly well with the returners, (and) our team chemistry has become so strong. Some of my best friends are on this team, and I know it’s like that for other girls.”

The next home game will be on March 26 at 1 p.m. against the Mountaineers of Schreiner University.

It is still early in the season, and the Cru has a long road ahead of them.

But in order to make it to the top, Gordon said, “It will take everyone on the
team, no matter if they are on the field or not. We all want that ring, so we will do whatever it takes to get it.”

Author: Joseph Warren

Joseph is a senior communication major from Humble, Texas, as well as the assistant sports editor. He took a year off from Cru soccer, but he is back with the team to play his final year. He is a big music lover who is always up for a good, live show.