Cru pitch pink

The baseball team followed in the tracks of the women’s basketball team and supported breast cancer awareness month through Pink Zone on February 10.

The team wore pink uniform tops, pink shoelaces and pink wristbands. The lady Cru basketball team started the idea, and the baseball team decided to expand it.

Pink T-shirts were sold in the SUB and Hardy for $10 and tribute cards for $1; all proceeds benefited Kay Yow WBCA Cancer Fund. The Cru lost to Trinity 7-0, causing UMHB to fall to 3-2 on the season.

Despite the loss, head Coach Wells said the game was a success.

“We absolutely plan to have another pink game,” he said. “We raised $750 our first time around, and seeing the support of the campus and this community was amazing. We sold 150 shirts for two hours on Monday and 45 minutes on Tuesday, and they sold out. I still have phone calls coming
in about T-shirts, and I think we could have easily sold twice as many as

we did if we had prepared for that many.”

Senior pitcher David Keil throws a strike to a Trinity hitter. The baseball team’s overall record is 4-3. Photo by Andra Holbrooks

Wells said sophomore sport management major Seth Lynn approached him in the fall and asked to do a breast cancer awareness event similar to the women’s basketball team.

“I told him let’s wait until the spring and piggyback with theirs. Let’s see if we can do something to give more recognition not to just our event but to their event as well. Students can go to our game and then continue with the support and go to their Thursday game and make this thing a little bit bigger
than just one day.”

Lynn played first base during the game and said it is important for people to be aware about breast cancer.

“My family has been impacted by breast cancer,” he said while wearing a pink band around his wrist. “It’s important for people to realize how many people it affects. The game was also a good way to get involved with the community.”

Senior exercise and sport science major Andrew White said he wanted to help out however he could.

“In every way, besides the loss, the game was a great success,” he said. “Any time you can raise money with a team/ campus effort to contribute to those in need is a great success in itself.”

For many senior players, their last opening home game was played in these jerseys that symbolize help.

“It was kind of funny,” Lynn said. “I think everyone else was really involved and didn’t mind it; they knew it was for a good cause, and the coaches were all for it. I don’t mind wearing pink; I have been wearing a pink wristband
in support since August.”

Wells said that Kay Yow was a women’s basketball coach who passed away from breast cancer, and the WBCA supports her foundation. He said a few years ago she was publicly going through chemo and during her treatment, she was in a wheelchair coaching games. Wells said her team really rallied around her, and other teams started to support her.

“We just jumped on board, trying to raise awareness,” he said. “We’ve had coaches here on our staff who have been affected, either personally or spouses. A lot of the guys on the team have been affected as well. My mother-in-law was diagnosed, and so I have been affected as well.”

Wells said the entire team was supportive, and he is pleased with the outcome.

“Seth Lynn was a big support; Joseph Villages designed the flier for us and Andrew White is our community representative,” he said. “They have made me very proud as well as the guys who volunteered to sell the T-shirts. I look forward to doing the event next year.”

Author: Mary Beth Kelton

I am a senior at UMHB and loving it! I am the features editor for The Bells and I also intern at the Temple Chamber of Commerce. I transferred to UMHB fall 2008 and God has done so many amazing things with my life. I am excited to graduate in May but more excited about the next two semesters and the memories that I will gain. I plan to continue my education by obtaining a masters degree in sociology after graduation unless I am somehow blessed with a job.