Newlyweds face challenges with love

Every student on campus faces the daily stresses of class, homework, presentations and study time. Junior nursing major Joe Curtis and junior education major Alysa Curtis have thrown marriage and a little girl named Josie into the mix. On Oct. 17 they said their vows and decided to take on the extra challenges.

“We met through a mutual friend and instantly clicked on March 13, 2008,” Alysa said. “I fell in love with Joe the fi rst night I met him. I also fell in love with his three and a half year old daughter Josie, who I met five days later.”

Joe said he knew early in the relationship that he wanted to marry her.

“We had this desire to get our life started together, so I made the decision to ask her. I took her to San Antonio and proposed at a restaurant in a private booth overlooking the river. I was so nervous. I asked before we even got appetizers, just so we could enjoy the rest of the date.”

Alysa said they are San Antonio Spurs fans and Joe took her to a game after the dinner.

“That is what sealed the deal for me,” she said.

Aside from joining Joe in his life, Alysa also gained a step daughter. The

Joe and Alysa Curtis with their daughter Josie are enjoying an evening together watching Sunday football as a family.

couple has Josie Friday through Tuesday. The other days of the week,she stays with her biological mother.

“I turned into an instant mommy when I started dating Joe,” she said. “She’s our child and we always work our schedules to have family time together.”

Alysa said it was a natural role and when Josie is with her, she is her parent.

“I’ve adjusted my life to accommodate her,” she said. “I love them both, they are a joint package. I also have joint custody of her with Joe; she’s an amazing kid-o.”

Josie said, “I’m happy because I love my Daddy and Lisi. She does everything with me, she plays Barbies with me and takes me to the swimming pool in the summer time.”

Joe said their situation is different from just being a newlywed couple in college, Josie is another variable.

“She gives us motivation and Alysa is great with her,” he said. “I know it’s hard for Alysa but she’s always been very mature about it and that’s what I was looking for in a partner.”

The couple said their main focus is to become financially stable for their family. They currently hold wait staff positions at Cheeves Brothers Steak House.

“I want to be able to provide for Josie and to be able to give her things in life,” Joe said. “The number one struggle for a young couple is finances. We
will graduate in 2012 and we will be able to get jobs that will lighten our financial load. I will have a good degree that will make money.”

Alysa said their daily routine can get exhausting but they make it work.

“I get up at 6 a.m. to get ready in the mornings,” she said. “Josie has to be at

Joe and Alysa are leaving their wedding ceremony on Lake Belton to go to their reception. Univeristy Chaplain Dr. George Loutherback married the couple on Oct. 17 at sunset.

school by 7:30 a.m. and Joe has class at 8 am. Joe will bathe her and brush her teeth while I get dressed, then I will put her clothes on her and do her hair while Joe gets dressed.”

Alysa will then sometimes work the morning and night shifts at Cheeves after her 9a.m. class.

“It’s hard but we get through it,” she said. “We also study on the weekends. We will study in the library until midnight when we have time. Sometimes I’m so tired that I fall asleep before Josie. Joe’s mother helps us out and will
watch Josie if we both have to study.”

After everything is done for the day and the added stress to their new life, the couple said they still made the right choice to wed in college.

“We work on our marriage,” Joe said. “We have to be patient and try not to take out the struggles of life on each other. A person has to constantly remember why they fell in love with that certain person and married them.”

Alsysa said she would not change her life situation for any reason.

“We have to get past the hard times and work as a team,” she said. “It will only make us grow stronger in our relationship as a couple for future challenges. I truly love my family.”

Author: Mary Beth Kelton

I am a senior at UMHB and loving it! I am the features editor for The Bells and I also intern at the Temple Chamber of Commerce. I transferred to UMHB fall 2008 and God has done so many amazing things with my life. I am excited to graduate in May but more excited about the next two semesters and the memories that I will gain. I plan to continue my education by obtaining a masters degree in sociology after graduation unless I am somehow blessed with a job.