Mayor of Troy teaches future, inspires nurses

When adjunct professor, Dr. Jeff Browning, was in the sixth grade, he wanted to become a scientist. He didn’t like his first chemistry class; however, he enjoyed physics and biology. Being an introverted teen, Browning preferred to remain behind the scenes.

He said, “I was a very shy person and didn’t like any kind of responsibility.”

Little did he know his love for the sciences would take his future career to center stage.

“I would have never ever guessed I would be in any sort of leadership position because I did not like to be in front of people,” Browning said.

But he found himself in the college classroom, and since 2003, he has been a professor at the university. In addition, he is currently the mayor of the city of Troy and works for the Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine.

He double majored in biophysics and chemistry at Trinity University, and later earned a master’s in biophysical and biochemical sciences from the University of Houston. He holds a doctorate from Texas A&M in medical sciences.

His background in medical research is what better equips him to teach bio-organic chemistry to future nurses.

“Students like me because I can really communicate that information,” he said. “But they don’t like me because I have a pretty high standard.”

Lab coordinator and adjunct professor Laura Hargrove works with Browning.

She said, “He has the knowledge of how many (of the) drugs the nurses will administer … (how they) were made and the research that went on before those drugs were available.”

Browning is glad to be able to share his Christian faith at the university.

He said, “I appreciate the fact that … I can use the awesome intricacies of biochemistry to share the awesomeness of God.”

Several years ago, Browning moved to Troy, TX, and joined the city council. Last year, when the mayor suddenly quit, Browning’s fellow councilmen pleaded with him to become mayor.

He tends to be a very analytical person, a characteristic that “people see,” in addition to his eye for making long term goals.

“I’m not doing it just for my own sake.” He said, “I feel like God’s put me in the position of leadership.”

City Administrator of Troy, Sherry Horsak, said his character and skills make him a good fit for the job.

She said, “(He) cannot be successful if he simply throws darts at solutions or goals. His ability to gather, read and analyze the data allows him to more accurately lead discussions on changes, projects, and goals for the city.”

Author: Kennan Neuman

Kennan Neuman is a senior mass communication/journalism major with a minor in Christian studies from the small town of Devine, Texas. She is the assistant editor and loves writing stories and designing pages. She also enjoys playing guitar for friends, the girls’ Bible study on Thursday nights and the youth at HBC in Temple. She loves reading a good Lucado book while on the back porch at home, drinking sweet tea and mastering Sudoku puzzles. She also enjoys having a “girls’ night out” and conversations at coffee shops.