A thrifty Christmas

By Aja Bradford

The holiday season is quickly approaching and thoughts of gift giving are on many students’ minds. They are setting budgets, giving less expensive gifts and making gifts to help ease the strain on their already stressed pockets.

Senior psychology major Lexi Thompson said, “Hours have been cut due to budget at my job, and I have had to rethink my plan about presents this year. I have set a strict budget and will only pay with cash. I don’t think it’s about how much you spend on a person. I think it is more about the sincere thought that is behind the gift itself.”

Junior education major Justin Moreno said, “I’m not even giving purchased gifts this year.” He plans to donate his time in the names of his loved ones.

“I will give each person a hand made card explaining their gift … me volunteering two hours of my time to any charity of their choice.”

Junior psychology major Amanda Clemmons said, “My family has a tradition that we set a spending limit and only shop for one person. We have a great time keeping the secret of who has who. I try to figure who has me, but I can
never find out.”

Retailers Toys R Us, JC Penny, and Sears hope to encourage early deal seekers by offering Black Friday sales before the traditional bargain shopping day.

Senior psychology major Cherith Jones said, “I have a new baby niece and can’t wait to buy her Christmas presents. I didn’t realize how expensive baby toys are, but I have been stalking the sales ads and found some amazing deals. I got a great musical tummy play mat for 50 percent off its original
price.”

First year graduate student Matt Litaker said, “We are not exchanging
gifts at all this year.”

“The economy has been tough on my family …, and we are looking forward to celebrating our family staying strong and together during these hard times. Spending time with my mother in the kitchen is my favorite part of the holiday season. She is the one who let me experiment in the kitchen and ate whatever I created.”

Students use their discounts at local stores to help bring down the cost of items. Others shop on campus and find unique gifts for loved ones.

Freshman Christian studies major Shawn Cain said, “I am the first to go to college in my family, and everyone is pretty excited.

“I am stuffing personalized purple and gold Christmas stockings with UMHB stuff that I have purchased from the book store,” he said.

“My mom collects mugs, my dad collects pens and my sisters love jewelry. I was able to find everything I needed right here on campus. I even took advantage of the craft fair on campus.”

Senior marketing major Angela Perez said, “I love the T-Room.
They have great $5 UMHB Tshirts for my whole family. I also feel good about supporting local businesses.”