Student leaders serve campus

From having coffee with friends to playing intramural sports, this year’s Baptist Student Ministries leaders, Maggie Curry and Mark Miller, share their interests, passions and goals.

“As a co-director I get to encourage and love on other leaders,” Curry said. “When you’re in a position of leadership, you’re so often pouring into other people and you don’t …. It’s not that you don’t want to show your weaknesses, but … you don’t want to burden them.”

Among the directors’ goals is to invest in student leaders on campus so they do not dry up.

“Mark and I really desire to be a sounding board for ideas and … (to) be

Mark Miller enjoys serving his fellow students on campus as a co-director of the Baptist Student Ministries. Photo by Matthew Peterson

available for others,” she said.

Their duties include planning mission activities on campus, in the community and around the world and running meetings.

“Part of our ministry is supporting other peoples’ ministries,” Miller said.

Curry said her favorite part of the position is the fellowship.

“I really love getting to work closely with Shawn (Shannon), Jena (Coulson) and Mark. We’re all very different people, but we’re alike in the ways that
are necessary for us to function together and be dynamic.”

Outside of the BSM, Curry and Miller keep busy with other activities that give them the opportunity to invest in others.

Miller, a junior Christian studies major, is the goalkeeper for the university soccer team. He was selected twice this season as the American Southwest
Conference Defensive Player of the Week and was also placed on the ASC Academic All-District Team for his high grade point average.

Miller’s soccer coach, Brad Bankhead, said Miller’s strengths make him an effective leader on and off the field.

“There’s not a kid in our program who doesn’t know that Mark loves and cares for them and treats them well,” he said. “He’s one of those guys that serve people behind the scenes without anyone knowing.”

Teammate, roommate and classmate junior Christian Studies major Chase Brownsaid he admires Miller.

“At home Mark is really goofy, in class he doesn’t say a word — even though he’s real smart — and on the field he leads by his actions,” Brown
said. “If you tie them all together, he’s mega-Mark.”

Miller believes his passion for the Lord and his athletic interests work together.

“It seems like soccer and Baptist Student Ministry wouldn’t have much to do with each other, but they should,” he said. “I’ve tried merging the ministry at the BSM and the ministry on the soccer team because there’s people coming (to UMHB) … who aren’t believers. My ultimate goal would be for (everyone) to find out what Christ is all about.”

He also hopes to combine his interests with future plans.

“I have a passion for ministry and athletics …. I feel like the Lord has gifted me with certain abilities, and it would be a shame if they weren’t used in ministry, even if it’s being a coach,” Miller said.

Curry, a senior psychology major, hopes to use her skills in the ministry also. She would like to work as a therapist in a residential treatment facility.

“That’s really where my heart is – recovery in the Lord,” she said. “I know a lot of people have dealt with … issues, I’ve been through stuff myself. I’m a firm believer of the phrase ‘you’re biggest struggle is also your ministry.’ … I (want) to live life with people and invest in them, and then send them back out.”

Curry enjoys traveling and meeting new people, saying these traits came
from growing up as an “Army brat.”

“I’m no stranger to moving. I’ve done it 12 times. It’s sometimes difficult always being the new kid, but it made coming to college really easy,” she said.

Curry graduated from high school in Germany, where she lived for five years.

“My dad is a colonel in the U.S. Army and is an EMT surgeon,” she said. “When we were in Germany, we’d travel every week, like to France to shop and Egypt for Thanksgiving. I love different cultures and learning how to work with different groups of people.”

Curry has been involved in many organizations including Stunt night, the Miss MHB pageant and the Crusader Leadership Council. On top of taking a full class-load, she also works as a server at Cracker Barrel.

Close friend senior Audrey Chumchal said Curry is a humble servant.

“Maggie is an effective leader because she finds the balance of accomplishing tasks while caring for the well-being of people.”

BSM Director Shawn Shannon said they are life-giving people and that “regardless of whatever position they’re in … the center of their respective
lives is following Jesus and serving people.”

The co-directors want students to know they are loved.

“The BSM is not a place where you have to have everything together,” Curry said. “We want to give students the opportunity to serve and to be served.”