Trick or treating is innocent fun

It is OK for parents to take their children trick-or-treating even when they claim to be Christians. I also think it is fine for adults to enjoy the holiday as well.

Halloween has a bad reputation among many Christians because its past is rooted in paganism. According to History.com, the holiday originated from the Celts, 2,000 years ago and celebrated their new year on Nov. 1.

On the night Oct. 31, they celebrated Samhain. It was believed that on Samhain the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing
trouble and damaging crops, the Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future.

During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins and attempted to tell each others’ fortunes.

Today, Halloween is a celebration made for children.

It is also a portal for adults to revert back to child-like mentalities with Graphic by Garrett Pekar costumes, candy and games.

It is alright for a child or adult to enjoy dressing in costume, digging into candy and enjoying wholesome fun with friends and family without the
demonic traditions present. It is all based on the individual perception of the holiday.

Many churches also have fall festivals for families. Children dress in costumes, play games and receive treats. There’s no difference between that and trick or treating. As long as the costumes are kept non-gory, it is the same thing.

Times have changed from the Celts 2,000 years
ago.

Trick or treating on Halloween is an American tradition. People do not look at a little girl dressed as Tinkerbell or a little boy suited up as Spider Man carrying their tiny pillowcases full of candy and think, where are the animal heads they need for their animal sacrifice? People see innocent children having innocent fun.

Author: Mary Beth Kelton

I am a senior at UMHB and loving it! I am the features editor for The Bells and I also intern at the Temple Chamber of Commerce. I transferred to UMHB fall 2008 and God has done so many amazing things with my life. I am excited to graduate in May but more excited about the next two semesters and the memories that I will gain. I plan to continue my education by obtaining a masters degree in sociology after graduation unless I am somehow blessed with a job.