Stopping to smell the roses and water them, too

Half of this semester is gone. Some students may feel relief from this fact, but “not I,” said the opinion columnist, the resident assistant, the athlete and the student.

In case you were wondering where the random list came from, those things currently describe my life in a nutshell. It is such a blessing to be able to do them all, but it is definitely a real challenge at times.

On many days, I find myself rushing from lunch to class or from class to practice or from practice to RA duty. Days like these are a whirlwind, especially when I have to fit in a little homework too. Things get really busy, usually all at once.

It’s funny because I am intrinsically wired to be an easygoing, mellow fellow. I walk slowly. I eat slowly. My mentality is that “I’ll get there when I get there.”

Last year, it was easy to be easygoing because I did not have as many priorities. I had lots of free time to spend with friends and time to have
fun. I am still that guy on the inside, but with all that is on my plate this year, it’s harder to make time to relax.

I actually find myself hurrying to class or inhaling my lunch within minutes quite often now. All this rushing around goes against my nature, but I have to do it so that I do not neglect any of my priorities.

It’s hard to give a hundred percent of myself to everything I do, and I feel like I’m giving just a fraction of that at times, but I do my best to give the best of me to everything. I don’t love being so busy, but I love all the things in my life that are keeping me busy.

I had a lot of fun during my freshman year playing tennis and spending time with friends. With that said, however, this year has been so much more amazing than last year, even though it is currently lacking in free time.

I just need to take time to smell the roses. This old expression means to appreciate what’s around you.

Realizing that half of the semester is already over is a slap in the face. I do not want to arrive at Christmas break and look back and have this semester seem like a blur. It seems to be moving by very rapidly because so many different things happen each day.

My goal for the rest of this semester is to slow down.

It is easy to appreciate the beauty of every day when I think about what each day means. Every sunrise is a gift from Jesus, a fresh start, a new day to make even better than the one before it.

When walking outdoors, I appreciate all the good that God has made. I see flowers reaching toward the sun and small animals running in the grass. I hear birds singing sweet songs to each other, and I feel the refreshing rain on my face.

God’s creations are truly good, but some often overlook the most awesome one.

People are more beautiful than everything else in nature. We are made in the image and likeness of God. It is truly invigorating to see people each day and talk with them.

To better appreciate each day, one of the most amazing things we can do is to make someone else’s day better.

It is a good thing to genuinely listen to other people on a daily basis and care about the things going on in their lives. It is easy to care about others when we recognize that we are all made in God’s image.

I know some students are not as busy as I am, but for those who are, I want to encourage you not only to stop and smell the roses but to water them too.

Scratch deeper than the surface and care for the roses you pass by every day. Each rose and each person are made by God, and I do not know which is more beautiful.

Author: Garrett Pekar

Garrett is a sophomore mass communication/journalism major from Granger, Texas. He is the opinions page editor for The Bells. Garrett is also an RA in McLane Hall as well as member of the men’s tennis team. His hobbies include spending quality time with friends and family, listening to music and playing some of his own on the guitar.