Stay true to your own convictions

Halloween isn’t a day for Christians to fear. 1 John 4:4 says, “For greater is He who is in me, than he that is in the world.”

It’s not wrong for parents and children to participate, but it’s about the motivation and degree of that participation.

People should stay true to their own convictions. They should research history of the day and not be naïve – thinking that cults don’t exist anymore.

They should know and evaluate the facts against their convictions decide whether their family should participate.

When I was in the first grade, my mom made me a purple and white cheerleader costume for Halloween. The white shirt had a big purple ‘K’ across the front. I twirled and jumped in the living room with my pompoms.

My terror of a toddler sister wore black sweats with a furry skunk tail stuffed in her diaper bottom. Not exactly the finest pair of outfits to go trick or treating together, but we made it work.

Growing up, we toured the neighborhood in our small town, especially Grandma’s road because she had generous candy-giving neighbors. We’d
usually end the night at our church’s fall festival before making the rounds of the fair at the church across the street from our house. My favorites were the cake walk and bean bag toss.

In the innocence of childhood, where holidays are merely excuses to eat candy, play games and unwrap gifts, I didn’t know Halloween might not be so innocent.

My perceptions have changed. Area animal agencies have prohibited the
adoption of cats during the fall season in order to protect the felines from cults, or would-be copycats, no pun intended.

Many Christian congregations are starting to realizing the significance of the evangelistic opportunities afforded by countless children and families who come knocking on their doors.

An article in the Seattle Times reported that evangelical Christians are now embracing the holiday they once avoided by “stamping” it with religious efforts. Some include passing out tracts with the candy and offering to pray with their costumed visitors.

Author: Kennan Neuman

Kennan Neuman is a senior mass communication/journalism major with a minor in Christian studies from the small town of Devine, Texas. She is the assistant editor and loves writing stories and designing pages. She also enjoys playing guitar for friends, the girls’ Bible study on Thursday nights and the youth at HBC in Temple. She loves reading a good Lucado book while on the back porch at home, drinking sweet tea and mastering Sudoku puzzles. She also enjoys having a “girls’ night out” and conversations at coffee shops.