UMHB rises in national rankings

UMHB earned a top tier ranking among Universities-Master’s West category in the 2010 edition of America’s Best Colleges by U.S. News & World Report, one of the nation’s leading sources of service journalism and news.

Director of Institutional Effectiveness and Institutional Research Amy Bawcom said the university’s final rank was 32—13 points up from last year’s 45 spot.

“We were very excited about our improvement this year,” Bawcom said.

Director of Admissions and Recruiting Brent Burks said 598 freshmen enrolled for the fall 2009 class, a historical high.

“We’ve partnered with a new student listing, Royal and Co.,” Burks said. “They work with us to find students who meet our academic profile. We then begin to move these students into the application stage.”

Ranks are measured by many standards.

“Peer assessment is one-fourth of our score,” Bawcom said. “The U.S. News and World Report send a survey out and they vote on our academic reputation. The graduation rate then couples with freshmen retention rate. We look at a group of freshmen who come in and graduate together. We don’t count … transfers.”

The school also has created a new motto and dedicated more time to recruitment.

“We have a new slogan, ‘Education for Life, Experience of a Lifetime,’” Bawcom said. “We updated this on our billboards and Web site.”

It has been a group effort.

“Our admission was proactive by containing tuition increases and increasing the funding in financial aid by one million dollars,” Burks said. “All the efforts helped UMHB put our best foot forward to ensure that students know UMHB would do all that we can to help them with aid.”

Current students are honored by the school’s ranking, and are looking forward to the advances the various departments are making.

“I know future employers and grad schools will recognize the quality education I received at UMHB,” senior nursing major Jessica Gallagher said. “I am proud this university continues to develop marketable students.”
Senior sport and exercise science major Michael Ivey agrees.

He said, “It pleases me to see that not only do we respect ourselves, but other schools around us also respect us academically and athletically.”

Author: Mary Beth Kelton

I am a senior at UMHB and loving it! I am the features editor for The Bells and I also intern at the Temple Chamber of Commerce. I transferred to UMHB fall 2008 and God has done so many amazing things with my life. I am excited to graduate in May but more excited about the next two semesters and the memories that I will gain. I plan to continue my education by obtaining a masters degree in sociology after graduation unless I am somehow blessed with a job.