Stuck at a fork in the road

I can say from personal experience, senior year of college is not easy.

Especially in this economy, many college seniors are at a fork in the road, trying to decide on a career or to perhaps continue education into grad school.

Let me rephrase that first option, seniors are waiting for a career of their choice to sweetly and appreciatively take them into its arms.

Annoyingly, that is just not the case and if people you know get their dream job right out of college, they are the exception.

A senior then might decide to pursue higher education only because that fantasy job hasn’t taken flight.

President John F. Kennedy once said, “Let us think of education as the means of developing our greatest
abilities, because in each of us there is a private hope and dream which, fulfilled, can be translated into benefit for everyone and greater strength for our nation.”

Respectfully, what if a person’s dream isn’t education and in my opinion right now, grad school, it’s a hard decision.

A few days ago, I was sitting in the office of a good friend. She and I had also been classmates last semester. She has since graduated and moved on to what I call, “A big girl job.”

On her wall, I noticed a colorful poster with the lyrics of “Wasted” by Carrie Underwood written on it.

The song “Wasted” is about a girl who doesn’t want to look back at her life one day and think she let all those years go by wasted.

It got me thinking, I wasn’t put on this earth to go to school or to work. Our society has made that a norm. I was put on this earth for my life. If I could stop and just enjoy today and not worry about tomorrow, then I will be letting the future figure out itself.

So, for right now, I still have not decided on a career or grad school, but I’m sure God already has that one picked out for me.

The answer is written in black and white, in a book that I read every day: “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own” Matthew 6:34.

I am going to enjoy the rest of my senior year and continue to ponder what to do after graduation, just not as severely.

I don’t have to know right now what I’m going to be doing in a year, and there is no book written on how to play the game of life.

I personally agree with Marilyn Monroe, “If I had observed all the rules, I’d never have gotten anywhere.”

Author: Mary Beth Kelton

I am a senior at UMHB and loving it! I am the features editor for The Bells and I also intern at the Temple Chamber of Commerce. I transferred to UMHB fall 2008 and God has done so many amazing things with my life. I am excited to graduate in May but more excited about the next two semesters and the memories that I will gain. I plan to continue my education by obtaining a masters degree in sociology after graduation unless I am somehow blessed with a job.