Blog: Proud to be a Crusader

There’s something about the dimly lit publications lab in the midmorning. I sit with twice warmed over coffee and only the sound of the faithful hum of the printer and the clickity-click of the keys as I type.

I just finished another interview for our upcoming Special Focus page. (I can’t tell you what it’s about – it’s a secret!)

I meandered through the campus bookstore while I waited for the interview. Students often complain about the prices, about what they spend on their books, or their new UMHB shirt. But I’d like to have a different perspective. It’s a little more sentimental (I guess because I’m a girl with emotions).

But it has more life.

It’s easy to say, “That costs too much” or “I can’t believe tuition went up again!” and stomp our feet with angry glares directed toward the person behind the check-out counter.

It takes a little more thought to get to the heart of the matter (well, at least the heart of the matter according to me).

We attend the best university in the world.

I love UMHB.

When I find myself getting anxious over what will happen after graduation, I remember the end of high school. I remember wondering

How in the world am I going to pick a college? Or pay for it?

How will I adjust to living away from home?

What will I do when I miss my family so much, I’d almost rather quit school?

God is so faithful.

He led me to UMHB even when I first said, “No way” because my mom attended and that’s where she wanted me to go. God helped me take the SAT three times just to get a high enough math score.

He helped me adjust being hundreds of miles from home. I found another family in my local church, in my Thursday night study, in my friends and in the people I work with everyday.

Just as the bookstore clerk said to a student (overheard while I was meandering) … We are not just buying books and paying for tuition. We are investing in our education, in our future and ultimately our lives.

So think past the receipt total long enough to remember all the perfectly orchestrated things … the God-moments. The shared laughter and tears. The moment you realized every bit of college life is preparing you for what’s ahead, whether it’s the class you don’t care for, or the class you love. An “expensive” book, or a self-realization that someday you’re going to miss these amazing days.

Get to the heart of the matter – and I think you will agree the best attitude is to be a truly proud Crusader.

Author: Kennan Neuman

Kennan Neuman is a senior mass communication/journalism major with a minor in Christian studies from the small town of Devine, Texas. She is the assistant editor and loves writing stories and designing pages. She also enjoys playing guitar for friends, the girls’ Bible study on Thursday nights and the youth at HBC in Temple. She loves reading a good Lucado book while on the back porch at home, drinking sweet tea and mastering Sudoku puzzles. She also enjoys having a “girls’ night out” and conversations at coffee shops.