Knight in shining armor reigns until ’10

Years before he was crowned 2009 Crusader Knight, Patrick Munoz was living the high life.

At age 25, he managed a chain of coffee shops in Cancun, Mexico. His business degree ensured a prosperous future, and his nights were filled with partying and drinking in a town known for its revelry. Christ was not exactly on his list of priorities. Munoz describes his early life as not surrendered to God.

“I accepted Christ at age seven, but growing up I started making wrong decisions,” he said. “I didn’t have any Christian friends, and my life basically consisted in working, meeting with friends and drinking again and again. It was a really lame way to live, especially as a Christian.”

God was not done with Munoz, and when he decided to visit his parents in Belton everything changed.

Photo by John Evans, The Bells

“I found myself with a lot of time since I was not working, and I knew I needed to make some changes in my life,” Munoz said. “In a couple months, I had a re-encounter with God. I spent time reading the Scriptures, praying and I became involved with First Baptist Belton. I was really searching for God strongly.”

Armed with his new dedication, Munoz decided to glorify God instead of himself.

He said, “I felt in my heart a change, a switch to wanting to serve God with my life.”

Munoz was accepted to Truett Seminary at Baylor University, but he jumped at the chance to attend the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor when the administration encouraged him to come.

He said, “The Lord, from day one, put me in this place. It was God who put me here.”

Now a junior Christian studies major, Munoz is leaving his mark on campus.

On Feb. 27, he became UMHB’s 2009 Crusader Knight, an honor he did not expect but takes seriously.

“Whenever they called my name I thought, ‘This is crazy.’ I couldn’t believe it,” Munoz said. “Now I know more eyes are on me, so I want to point people to God.”

He misses the practices because he enjoyed meeting and being in fellowship with the other contestants, whom he described as “amazing.”

Senior theology and philosophy major Asa Crow, a fellow contender for Crusader Knight, remembers Munoz  “didn’t take himself too seriously and was always a lot of fun to be around.”

Sophomore nursing major and roommate Andrew Kester said, “Patrick is really cool, really genuine. He really invests time in people and loves them. He’s just a fun-loving guy.”

Munoz says his years at UMHB have been among the happiest of his life, and he feels God has given him many  blessings at the university.

His girlfriend, senior nursing and Spanish major Chelsea Glenn, ranks chief among them.

“I found an amazing girl, and I love her,” he said.

Munoz plans to pursue ministry after he graduates  and is interested in church planting.

“I don’t want to do what you could call evangelist shows. I want to do something where you plant a church, and then you stay a while and support it,” he said.

It all depends on the plan of the God who called him out of darkness and into light.

“I don’t want it to be my plans; I want to be open to where the Lord is leading.”

Author: admin