Ring by spring becomes reality

By Andra Holbrooks

The weather has been beautiful, the air crisp, purple and gold flowers in bloom, and several female Crusaders have pretty diamond rings on their left hands. It must be spring.

Senior computer graphics design major, Joseph Villegas, recently became engaged to junior psychology major, Natasha Mills. They met at Mayborn Campus Center.

“I was on duty working the weight room and was trying to recruit volleyball players for a team,” Mills said. “The captain asked Joseph if he wanted to play, but Joseph declined. I skipped over to him, pearl earrings and all, and asked if he would play. He enthusiastically accepted. That was our first encounter together.”

Villegas shares the same story

“After I found out Natasha was on the (volleyball) team she told me I should join, so I did,” he said.

First encounters go a long way because the two have been a couple even since.

Mills said, “I knew I loved that kid within three months.”

Villegas saw Mills in his future within the first month.

“One night she called me and said ‘I love you,’ and I just knew this was the one,” he said.

On Feb. 1, Villegas proposed to Mills. It was a special day for them because they were celebrating two years of being together.

“I asked her at the Georgetown Airport after our helicopter ride, which she thought was for our two-year anniversary. She got out of the helicopter still ecstatic from the ride.”

From there she began to realize her future was about to change.

“We walked up to the hanger doors because the pilot said the main ones were locked. As an employee opened the doors, Natasha saw everyone and just started crying. She knew exactly what was going to happen.”

Villegas was anxious as he proceeded to go through what he had planned.

“I got down on one knee and asked, but being so nervous I had the ring upside down. She informed me of my mistake, but gladly said yes,” Villegas said.

They greeted family and friends thanking all for coming to celebrate their future.

“I was so shocked I felt very loved and wanted by him. I started crying and being a girl about the whole thing. The proposal was a thrill and so sentimental. All of my loved ones were there to share this beautiful moment with us,” Mills said.

Villegas and Mills aren’t the only junior/senior couple getting hitched.

Newly engaged senior graphics design major, Brodie Reynolds, and junior history major, Cassie Konichek, have set the big day for Dec. 17, 2010.

“Brodie and I met at Summer Fun during Welcome Week ’07,” Konichek said, “It was by chance.”

Reynolds’ friend had asked him to go to Summer Fun, but he was not planning on going. He happened to find swim trunks in his car and went to meet up with friends.

“If he hadn’t gone to Summer Fun, there is a good chance that we would have never met,” she said.

The couple became official one year and four months ago and now are making lifelong plans.

“I knew we were meant to be the first time she made me laugh. I’ve never had a girlfriend who could make me laugh the way she does,” Reynolds said.

The couple spends quality time together “by watching lots of movies. It’s definitely something we enjoy. Just being around each other is great no matter where we are,” Konichek said.

For her, their destiny  became clear the moment “he sang ‘Keeper of the Stars’ by Tracy Byrd to me while we were dancing at his friend’s wedding.”

Their engagement was special and intimate. Reynolds knew their engagement should be personal. After dinner at Olive Garden, he took her outside and popped the big question.

“When he asked me to marry him, I felt about a million emotions in one,” Konicheck said.

“I had no clue about it, so when he got on one knee, I started bawling. It was very exciting. We tried to take a picture of the ring to send my parents but we couldn’t because I was shaking so badly.”

Reynolds said he was just as nervous asking Konichek as he was when he asked her father for her hand in marriage.

“Her dad just got back from Iraq, and I didn’t know how he would take it,” he said.

When he asked Konichek, he said it “felt like I was never going to get the words out.”