Charter day ushers in year 164

The University of Mary-Hardin Baylor celebrated its anniversary by placing a wreath on judge R.E.B. Baylor’s grave 164 years after the charter was signed. The gift was given in honor of the founder’s accomplishments.

The Campus Activities Board hosted a birthday party in the SUB to celebrate, offering balloon animals and cake to students who decided to join the merriment.

The charter provided groundwork for two prominent Texas universities: UMHB and Baylor.

Junior elementary education major Melody Haynes takes pride in the university’s colorful past.

“UMHB’s rich history means that I am a part of something bigger than me,” she said, “It makes me proud to go to a school that has stood the test of time and come out stronger.”

Photo by Mateo Gamboa, The Bells

Haynes also feels the departure of President Dr. Jerry Bawcom will be noticeable in the history of the school.

She said, “Dr. Bawcom has done so much for this university. After 19 years of service, I think everyone will miss him.”

Sophomore biology and athletic training double major Sherissa Hua also noted that Bawcom has been a large influence at UMHB.

“He will be greatly missed because he has been a great supporter of our school,” she said, “He constantly cheers for our sporting events and is a great leader. He has taken part in defining our school as a whole just by being there and helping to make changes in even the littlest of aspects.”

Hua said that Charter Day is an important celebration because “that was the day our school was born. We would not be here without it.”

Sophomore history major Ryan Boyd thinks that one of UMHB’s greatest achievements was the integration of males to the school in 1971.

He said, “The fact that I am able to be a part of this prestigious school gives me a sense of pride. I am glad that males are actually able to come here now because we get to experience privileges that we may have not otherwise been able to experience in the past here.”

Boyd also added that “UMHB sports would not be what it is today without the integration of men to the school.”

The university has a rich history which started 164 years ago, leading to the school’s move to Belton in 1886, followed by the establishment of the first work-study program for women and several name changes.

Some notable achievements include establishing the first school of journalism for a women’s college and being recognized as the first Texas Baptist school.

The Charter Day chapel featured guest speaker Dwight Edwards, class of 1980.

Edwards challenged students not to just exist, but to live. He said, “The alternative to doing something is to sit at home and watch the world go by. That’s not life; that’s existence.”

Freshman communication major Alex Adcock goes to chapel every Wednesday and said he enjoyed Edwards’ message.

He said, “I look forward to chapel each week because it gives me a chance to learn something new about God.”

Freshman business major Hannah Gramling also enjoyed Edwards’ living versus existing speech.

She said, “I want to take a different stance on how I approach my day-to-day actions now, and I want to find my calling so that I can live for God.”

Author: admin