A minute with the Love Guru

Think you have love figured out? University chaplain, Dr. George Loutherback, talks about Valentine’s Day and strengthening relationships.

Q: How do you know when you’re “in love”?
•    A: It’s different things for different people. For me, it was not a moment that I knew, but a process of getting to know (wife) Cindy and sensing her heart. Then God began to warm my heart with hers. It was then we realized this was love.

Q: How did you win your wife’s heart?
•    A: When we talked about our future and what we hoped to see, I think she saw in me a person that she could respect, a person that she could support his career and be a helper to me, not a competitor.

Q: What advice do you have for  young couples in a relationship?
•    A: Spend time together, communicate together and just get to know each other. Don’t react on impulses and don’t react on emotions. Spend the time to really get to know the individual and who they are. God will reveal to you if it’s the right one for you or not.

Q: What is Valentine’s Day for you?
•    A: “Valentine’s Day is a time to say, ‘Hey, I just want to tell you how much I love you and how much I appreciate what you mean to me and all you do in my life.’”

Q: What do you think the color red symbolizes for Valentine’s Day?
•    A: “HOT! And smokin’!”

Dr. L believes Valentine’s Day is meant to be spent around the ones you love.

•    “I think Valentine’s Day should be a time for couples. If you’re dating or with your significant other, . . . spend some time affirming each other and just telling each other what you appreciate. It’s the best gift. At times we get so busy that we very rarely take time to affirm each other in a personal way, and those are the special moments.”