Cru fitness: tone, define, dance

It is a new year, with a new semester, new classes and new assignments. It is also a time to start a new goal to get more fit and to maintain bodily health.

This semester, the university offers eight diverse fitness classes that  are free to every student, faculty and staff member.One of the most popular classes is Cru Crunch.

According to the class description, if you’re trying to get rid of that spare tire or striving for the ultimate six pack, this class will get you on the way. Fitness Instructor Fanny Dufour is the woman who will guide eager Crusaders through the class. She has been an instructor for over a year and is currently working on her undergraduate degree.

Photo by Crystal Donahue, The Bells

“I am also a full time undergrad student, majoring in exercise science with a recreation minor. The military brought me to Ft. Hood, and now I am here as a student at UMHB. I absolutely love my department, professors and fellow students. There’s no way that I could leave it.”

Fitness class options are Yoga, Kickboxing, Zumba (Latin-inspired dance-fitness), Pilates, Body Sculpt and Cycle Spinning. With such diverse options to choose from, many students are deciding to try out the classes more than ever in past semesters.

Senior elementary education major Megan Johnson is a fitness supervisor at the Mayborn Campus Center and is impressed with the turnout.

“It’s important to have a variety for the students, faculty and staff. At the beginning of this semester alone, I’ve had close to 50 new students show up for classes.”

Junior psychology major Audrey Mays, is a fan of one class.

“I love Cru Crunch,” she said. “I’m expecting to feel better the next morning, and I do. Fanny is really great about targeting muscles that you never thought you had.”

Students can also use the techniques they learn in the course, outside of the gym atmosphere.

“I was able to still use a lot of the exercises over the Christmas break,”Mays said. “It’s convenient to do them at home also. They are simple moves that also target muscles that are normally hard to reach.”

The university fitness department wants everyone at the school to be able to participate and attend the various classes.

“Every instructor here is great,” Dufour said. “They are knowledgeable and constant.We want it to be fun and (a) healthy experience for everyone. We try to encourage every person to participate and that is what is awesome about it. We really care about their health.”

The fitness department also encourages new suggestions from  participants.

“We’re open to the new trends in fitness,” Dufour said. “I believe that these classes represent that. We’re also concerned with scheduling. We understand that every semester, schedules will change. We set the times so that they won’t conflict with the majority of classes. We have early morning, midday and late afternoon options.”

Assistant Director of Alumni Relations Melissa Ford also enjoys the Cru lessons that are available.

“I just started this semester,” she said. “All of the instructors here do a great job. They make it a hard workout but also make it fun for everyone in the class. I have to say, it has been a positive experience.”

For now, the university fitness instructors will continue to do what they love, which is helping their fellow Crusaders enjoy different alternatives to living a healthy lifestyle.

For more information view the attached pdf: cru-fit

Author: Mary Beth Kelton

I am a senior at UMHB and loving it! I am the features editor for The Bells and I also intern at the Temple Chamber of Commerce. I transferred to UMHB fall 2008 and God has done so many amazing things with my life. I am excited to graduate in May but more excited about the next two semesters and the memories that I will gain. I plan to continue my education by obtaining a masters degree in sociology after graduation unless I am somehow blessed with a job.