Fun, laughter infuse lively Date Auction

There was a cool, crisp breeze in the starry night. Lights twinkled in the trees, transforming the usually dull steps of Mabee into a romantic scene. The smell of hot chocolate and warm popcorn lingered in the air. It was the night of Date Auction.

Some students were there to find a special someone, while others just wanted to enjoy a night with friends.

Sophomore business finance major Lindsey Weaver was the master mind behind it all.

“Date Auction is a fundraiser done by First Year Council to raise money for spring formal,” Weaver said.

She likes being able to support the university and the school spirit of the student body.

Photo by Lauren McKenzie, The Bells

“FYC was a doorway for me to get involved and make friends,” she said “I’m excited to be a leader, and I’m proud to have had Date Auction as my fundraiser.”

The most eligible bachelors on campus planned dates that the university’s young women could bid on. The girls didn’t know who their date might be, but had to bid based solely on what kind of date activity they wanted.

Freshman business management major Stuart Bellan put some deep thought into his decision.

“I want a nice romantic evening with a special girl,” he said. “I want to take my date to a fun dinner and then dancing. I want her to feel comfortable. If she doesn’t want to go dancing, then we will go play laser tag. That’s such a sweet game to play.”

Sophomore business administration major Michael Beach was also trying to make his date memorable.
“I just want my girl to have a comfortable time,” he said. “I want to make her laugh and to be sure that she has fun.”

Not all of the men were just looking for a casual evening. Some were looking for love. Freshman business major Tobin Davies was searching for just that.

“I want to find a wife,” he said. “My date will go on a scavenger hunt at Belton Lake that will lead her to a picnic.”

Junior Christian studies major Tommy Wilson was wearing his heart on his sleeve.

“This is a chance for me to meet someone in a deeper way and to have fun while doing it.”

The thrill-seeking bidders had choices such as ice skating, rock climbing, bumper cars and even a ticket to see Texas country music star Aaron Watson in concert.

Junior computer graphic design major Courtney Pett came to the event ready to bid.

“I had my eye on a certain someone,” she said. “I feel that UMHB did a really good job with this fundraiser.”

Freshman fine arts major Ellen Buhrow participated to connect with her fellow Crusaders.

“I want to be part of school activities,” she said. “I came to support my friends who were in the auction.”

Some students who bid weren’t planning on bidding at all.

“I ended up getting a date, when I wasn’t intending on getting one,” sophomore nursing major Kasey Carbajal said. “I’m going on a date to Texas Road House for dinner with Trevor Ash. I’m looking forward to it, (and) I believe that it will be a fun experience.”

Sophomore nursing major Vanessa Sanchez attended the affair and enjoyed watching others partake.

“My favorite part wasn’t the boys,” she said. “I enjoyed the hot cocoa on a cold night having fun with my ladies. It was pretty interesting; I had never been to a date auction before. I truly had a lot of fun.”

FYC was able to raise more than $100 for spring formal through the auction. Bids ranged from $5 to $30.

Weaver was satisfied with all her hard work at the end of the night.

“The event was filled with laughter,” Weaver said. “I’m so thankful to everyone who came out and participated. It was definitely a success.”

Author: Mary Beth Kelton

I am a senior at UMHB and loving it! I am the features editor for The Bells and I also intern at the Temple Chamber of Commerce. I transferred to UMHB fall 2008 and God has done so many amazing things with my life. I am excited to graduate in May but more excited about the next two semesters and the memories that I will gain. I plan to continue my education by obtaining a masters degree in sociology after graduation unless I am somehow blessed with a job.