Pause for Thought: Bucket list before kicking the can

By Joshua Thiering

December graduation is quickly approaching. This collegiate exodus of seniors into the land of new opportunities is a source of terror for some, and for others it is like being a dog that is finally let off his chain.

But before the fast-approaching big romp in the world, a final run around the UMHB backyard is in order.

Here is a bucket list of things to do before your college career kicks the bucket.

Attend a Civil War re-enactment

Some things in history are best not to recreate, like the Hindenburg blimp explosion. Others like civil wars and Renaissance festivals are just great opportunities to get dressed up in period garb and use antiquated language.

Take lots of photos — they make interesting Christmas cards.

Experiment with facial hair

College is about experimentation. Call it a social experiment. Why buy a turtle neck, when you can grow your own?

Why not grow a throat beard like Henry David Thoreau for the Civil War re-enactment.

Speaking of Thoreau…

Live in a tent beside the pond

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived,” Thoreau wrote in Walden, a great American classic.

And so, taking a page from Walden we will go to UMHB pond, because we wish to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of college, and see if we could learn what it had to teach, and not, when we came to graduate, discover that we had not received a real education.

I want to suck the sweet nectar from the fruits of the simple life, to jostle the juice around in my mouth and to feel its sticky dribble on my chin. Speaking of simple pleasures….

Go to a drive-in with your honey

Kanoodle the night away together. Sometimes it’s nice to enjoy the simple pleasures in life like a good movie, snuggling and hand-holding.

Drive-ins used to be called “passion pits,” but that hardly is demeaning ever since The Passion of the Christ came out.