Many gather for popular game shows

Every year students gather from all over campus. Oct. 17 is the official day for the 8th annual RA Events. Senior psychology major Ryan Hutsell is program’s co-chairman.

“The program is for students to get involved on campus and to relax and have fun,”  she said.

The day included six events. Hutsell said she and the chairman, senior public relations major Katelyn Dean, spent countless hours planning, making phone calls, sending e-mails and attending meetings.

“It was stressful, but the RAs have built a strong group,” she said. “It also creates a bonding tradition between the freshmen and RAs. We’re not just here to constantly check in students and give fines. We’re here to have fun with them, too.”

Photo by Crystal Donahue, The Bells

Hutsell said anyone who is an RA with freshmen on their floor can participate in the games, which were inspired by television shows.

Freshman sports management major Doug Peak was having a good time with the guessing game of Will it Float?

“We had to guess if chalk would float,” he said. “I thought that it would, but it sank. It was a tough defeat, but the important thing is that we all had fun.”

Freshman biology major Andrew Christian also participated in the event.

“I guessed that a 10-year-old computer would sink, and I guessed right,” he said.

“I picked my prize, Jujifruit candy.”

Faculty were also invited to participate.

In the Are you smarter than a freshman? category, Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Steve Theodore challenged freshmen in the battle of the brains.

“I’m looking forward to having some fun,” he said with a laugh. “It‘s been a long time since I was a Freshman.”

Dr. Steve Oldham, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs, was also a contestant in the knowledge challenge.

Photo by Crystal Donahue, The Bells

“I enjoy getting involved with the students and having a good time with them,” he said. “It’s important to involve faculty because we’re part of the student environment. (It) was a good opportunity to bond with the students.”

After 11 years of being a resident director, Cathy Durham has been a part of many campus events. She believed the evening was a success.

“We have some exciting freshmen this year,” she said. “Ryan is very organized, and she did an awesome job.”

The smell of food did not go unnoticed during the Top Chef College Style, competition. Junior history major Teaven Barnum was a judge in the cook-off.

“The point is to have fun as a freshman and for them to know that UMHB appreciates them,” he said. “There are three rounds of competition, pasta, soup and sandwiches.”

The freshmen cooked using their college style techniques.

“The students could only use a microwave and a variety of ingredients to make the meal,” Barnum said. Winners received $15 added to their Crusader bucks.

Associate Dean of Students and Director of Resident Life Donna Plank was also a judge in the cooking competition.

“I came to support the program and taste the great food,” she said. “My favorite is the cheesy pasta.”

Top Hardy Hall chef Adrian Ashton was a judge looking for apprentices.

“I want to participate with the students on campus and to find potential chefs to hire who can have fun with their talents,” he said. “My favorite is the avocado soup.”

The concoction was created by freshman cell biology major Hillary Halderman and freshman marketing major Jennifer Loyd.

“Our avocado soup led us to win the second round,” Halderman said.

When told judge Ashton was a fan of their cooking, Loyd was appreciative.

“Being complimented by the Hardy top chef means a lot,” she said. “Maybe one day we’ll be top chefs, too.”

Junior Christian studies major Geoff Payne is currently organizing the second round of RA events, which will take place Nov.4.

“It will be a medieval/renaissance fair on the intramural field between McLane and Beall,” he said. “I am excited to see the wide range of talent we can bring in.”

Author: Mary Beth Kelton

I am a senior at UMHB and loving it! I am the features editor for The Bells and I also intern at the Temple Chamber of Commerce. I transferred to UMHB fall 2008 and God has done so many amazing things with my life. I am excited to graduate in May but more excited about the next two semesters and the memories that I will gain. I plan to continue my education by obtaining a masters degree in sociology after graduation unless I am somehow blessed with a job.